by Rianna Poskin
Exercise is a crucial part in making sure we stay healthy and strong. When trying to conceive (TTC) it becomes a challenge to know what exercises are safe and which ones could be causing more harm then good. Here’s a quick run down of 7 amazing yoga poses that are not only safe when TTC but can also help your fertility efforts!
Yoga is a practice that can connect the mind and the body. Always aim to stay present and focus on an intention. A beautiful image to have in mind when doing fertility yoga is a healthy and happy baby!
1. Cobbler’s pose: This pose opens up the pelvic region. It allows for fresh blood and nutrients to circulate through the lower abdomen. This pose can be done lying back to help with pain during menstruation.
Hold pose for 45 seconds to 2 minutes
2. Legs up the wall pose: The blood from the legs and the feet become redirected to the pelvic region. Toxins are removed from the lymphatic system. This can calm the central nervous system and help your endocrine system. *NOTE* Do not do this pose when menstruation
Hold pose for 5-10 min
3. Cobra Pose: Brings energy and blood flow to the ovaries, uterus and pelvic area. It can help regulate your hormones.
Hold pose for 30 seconds and repeat 3-4 times
4. Supported Bridge Pose: Brings blood and nutrients to the uterus and ovaries. This pose can help if you have thyroid problems. Use with caution during menstruation.
Hold pose for 30 seconds to start and gradually increase as you get stronger. Gently come down out of the pose and then slowly lift back up.
5. Head to knee forward bend (single leg bent): relaxing pose to loosen the back and hamstring muscles.
Hold pose for 30 seconds – 2 minutes. (You should be bent over your straight leg with your head over your knee…I didn’t show this one bent over!)
6. Seated Head to knee forward bend (straight leg): stimulates the ovaries and uterus. Helps to relieve stress and depression.
Hold pose for 30 seconds – 2 minutes
7. Corpse Pose: helps to create a mind body connection. Calms the body down, gives you a moment to set your intentions and focus on your fertility goals.
Hold pose and relax for 5-10 minutes