Youth Sport Podcast: Episode 1:
I thought it only be fitting to share a conversation between Mike (my husband) and I since it was through our conversations that led to the creation of this podcast! Mike is an amazing athlete with a story that might be familiar to some out there! He found success in sport at a young age and then had to face the reality of what would lie ahead! Not only an athlete, Mike is now a coach and a Dad to 3 young athletes. I hope you enjoy his story and share your constructive and respectful thoughts in the comments below! Please enjoy our first episode of the Youth Sport Podcast with Rianna Poskin!
This episode is brought to you by Lululemon! I am part of the Lululemon Collective and receive commission when amazing people like you shop for themselves through my link! I appreciate your support in order to keep these conversations happening! Click here to shop now!
Here’s a run down of what Mike and I talked about:
- How we met through sport (our kids would say, ewwww gross!)
- Mike’s early years in sport and the impact of having Dad’s stepping up!
- When sport became more serious and Mike was starting to get attention
- How 1 coached changed the trajectory for many kids that might have been written off
- Social issues, drugs, and peer pressure…how sport helped Mike
- The American “Jock” Experience!
- Playing Division 1 and the struggles that came with it…having awareness of his situation…his dream slipping away and sport identity
- Once again, how 1 coach made a positive impact that changed his life
- The transition to coaching
- What it’s like to be a parent of youth athletes
- The good stuff that’s happening in youth sport
- How we can do better in youth sport
- How 1 coach almost made Mike quit sport and how we can all learn from it
- How each athlete needs to be treated differently
- How a coach can trigger self confidence that sticks for a lifetime!
Without further ado…the full conversation!