Youth Sport Podcast
Please jump in the conversation in the comment section below! Dennis Laskey drops his wisdom over decades of coaching high level athletes all the way down to 3 years olds that don’t know what sport is! I loved chatting with my coach once again after so many years of playing for him. What a great influence this man has been on so many!
This episode of The Youth Sport Podcast is brought to you by Lululemon. I am part of the Lululemon Collective and receive commissions when you shop through my link. Your support in shopping for amazing items for you and your family help me to bring amazing and inspiring conversations for us all. Thanks for your support! Click here to visit the Lululemon website to find your next go to item!
Here’s what Coach Laskey and I talked about…I thought I would make notes for you!
- Why I think Coach Laskey is amazing through 1 specific story which shows his impact in a time of need.
- Coach Laskey’s younger years and how he had to hold his own with older kids.
- How the greatest players in the world started out when they were young and what we can learn from it.
- The main thing that kids need to keep playing…
- Creating a a successful development program only to be ruined by parents that thought coach was crazy!
- Coaching tip #1: Know who you’re coaching
- How the environment shapes the best players.
- Playing in different age groups.
- How to elevate to the higher levels of the game.
- The community helps to create the playing environment and how we can all contribute.
- How to help parents see the big picture.
- Sport and creativity
- What the greatest teacher is in sport.
- How to have awareness as a parent in youth sport.
- Coaching tip #2: The welfare of your players
- What kids actually want to do.
- Coaching tip #3: The responsibility of the coach
- Before you can be a coach you have to be ______________________?
- The ego and coaching.
- The art of coaching and how to get the most out of your players without even telling them what to do!
- Coaching men and women.
- How a kid taught Coach a big lesson.
- Coach is still waiting for his lottery winning athlete to give back to him after all these years (HA!)
- Understanding what’s going on at home to make a better impact.
- How coach thinks about disciplines and punishment…this is really important stuff!
- How to create the environment that kids want to come back to.
- Games to play and games NOT to play.
- When to end a session.
- When winning a game could actually be a loss, and losing a game might actually be a win! Deep thoughts!
- Coach shares some funny stories and his sense of humour comes through.
- What life looks like after coaching…
Without further ado… our conversation…enjoy!
Oh! And don’t forget to listen to “The Cool Down”! This is where Mike and I chat about the episode and encourage you to join in on the conversation as well!
The Cool Down: