Youth Sport Podcast
Ryan’s story is awesome! If you’re a baseball coach, baseball parent or a baseball player yourself, this conversation will be right up your alley! Ryan’s story isn’t just for baseball fans, he touches upon so many things that are important for all of us working with young people in sport. I invite you to join in the conversation and share your thoughts in the comments below.
This episode is brought to you by Lululemon! I am part of the Lululemon Collective and receive commission when amazing people like you shop for themselves through my link! I appreciate your support in order to keep these conversations happening! Click here to shop now!
Here’s a run down of everything that Ryan and I talk about:
- Ryan’s early days in a family of 4 with supportive parents running all over the place!
- The sibling understanding in the household that was always supportive of each other.
- Ryan’s Dad stepping up to coach.
- Knowing when it’s time to let someone else take over the team.
- What College baseball is all about.
- Living with 9 baseball guys in 1 big house!
- Planning to go pro.
- How to get to the next level.
- Drugs in baseball and pressure to get an edge in performance.
- What a left handed pitcher look like as a niche player.
- No regrets…but a few “what if’s”.
- Pitch counts and the young baseball athlete.
- Overuse injuries: genetics, training, and more, factoring in all potential elements.
- Being a multi-sport athlete, what age to switch to sport specific training.
- Playing baseball around the world and the lessons learned from human beings and the environment.
- Having confidence as the “new guy” on the team.
- Vegan and sport. (Note, Ryan is not a nutritionist and this information is from him personal experience, this is not to be used as medical advice, please consult your healthcare team)
- How a coaches personality can come through when coaching.
- The big picture to consider when working with kids.
- Life lessons through baseball.
- Identity as a baseball player and what happens when you’re no longer playing.
- Finding purpose through losing.
- Advice for handling loss and failure.
- The reality of trying to “make it”.
- Grit, determination, giving it your all.
- A baseball analogy for life.
- Advice for parents and expectations.
- How to get back up when life knocks you down.
And now…the whole conversation…remember to listen to “The Cool Down” and let us know your comments and thoughts around Ryan’s story!