Youth Sport Podcast
Fred Zinkie is a high-school phys ed teacher, a high-school football coach, a sports writer (with publications written for Major League Baseball and Yahoo Sports), and a podcaster “Rotowire Fantasy Baseball Podcast, you can listen here!
On this episode we talk about Football and goal setting…with a few (a lot) of other things in between!
This episode is brought to you by Lululemon. I am part of the Lululemon Collective and receive commissions when you shop through my link Shopping for you and your loved ones helps me to continue to bring inspiring and educational content for everyone! Thanks for your support!
Here’s a run down of what Fred and I talked about:
- What it’s like to be a teacher by day and a professional sports writer/podcaster by night (and weekend!)
- Fred is a master of Fantasy sports but his students have no idea!
- Fred’s early years living with his brother, his Mom and Grandma
- How the family’s on Fred’s youth sports teams all chipped in to help each other.
- Sports as an elitist opportunity?
- Possibilities for kids without a lot of money could choose Football as an option to still be involved in sport.
- What is a Master’s of Coaching degree?
- My (Rianna’s) negative bias towards football and my reasons for it…Fred’s perspective to help me shape my opinion in a new light.
- Why high-school Football can be really impactful.
- Fred’s opinion on how long someone should play football.
- We discuss the incident in Georgia, where a U9 Football coach got violent with his players and was banned to coach for life.
- “We don’t hate the other team.”
- Vetting coaches
- We discuss the fans reaction to “Dez Bryant” and the culture around a specific type of player.
- Social media advice!
- We discuss “Sarah Fuller” and female presence in football.
- “Never read the comments”
- How social media affects kids.
- Fred shares a story about “Kevin Pillar” (It’s funny!)
- Goal setting, how Fred got into Major League Baseball writing.
- “Sports don’t build character, it reveals it”